Friday, May 4, 2012

Luncbox Treats

I've become a little tired of buying expensive junk food that pretends to be healthy for my children's lunchbox snacks. So over the mid-term break, I spent a little of my time off from uni Googling some easy lunch box treats that I could make for my children. 


I started by making a triple batch of muffins. I used the basic muffin mix recipe from Best Recipes and made apple and cinnamon variations. One batch of plain apple and cinnamon, one batch of apple and ginger, and one batch with the added goodness of wheatgerm and flaxseeds hidden in there. I didn't get any pictures, but next time I make a batch, I'll be sure to take some and upload them here.


These muffins are super, super simple to make. When they were cool, I wrapped each muffin individually in cling film, labeled them and put them in a container in the freezer. Each night I just grab a couple from the freezer to defrost for the next day. They may not be supremely healthy, but at least I know they are free from the additives and other nasties that hide in kids' snack foods. Plus, they're much cheaper (under $3 for a dozen, compared to $5 for a 6 pack of muesli bars - the ones that are halfway decent, anyway). And making them makes me feel like I'm a good mum :)


Next on my list are:


Afghan biscuits  - they were a favourite treat when I was growing up.


Anzac slice  - an easy variation on the Anzac biscuit
Peanut brownie biscuits - another favourite treat. These remind me of "camping" at the beach on our Uncle's farm during holidays when I was a child in NZ.


Peanut butter and oat slice  - it looks easy and yummy.


Here's to baking up a storm for the kiddies :) This weekend we're making afghan bikkies!

0 comments:

Post a Comment