Saturday, May 26, 2012

The "Potentially" Sane Mother's Guide to Raising Children

About two or three years ago, my husband and I ordered a bunch of books from the Deseret Book Shop, to give as gifts to family and friends. While doing this, I ordered a couple of books for myself that looked like they might be good reads for me. One of them was a book called The Potentially Sane Mother's Guide to Raising Children. I think I read the preface, and then it go put into storage with the rest of our belongings for a while, shifted around and stored again before finally ending up in our shed, before we finally got a bookshelf. Out came all the books we thought we needed, and it sat on the bookshelf for another year before I rediscovered it a couple of weeks ago. 



This time, I began to read it properly. It is wonderful! It's written very clearly and normally, without any professional jargon, and she uses great experiences from her own life to illustrate the concepts in the book. It has some really good activities in it that you can use as family home evening lessons that help to emphasize the concepts. And it's taught me a lot about myself as a mother. While it's geared towards LDS families and younger children, the ideas are definitely adaptable to families of all faiths or non-faith, and can be adjusted to suit older children as well. 

While it would be impossible for me to implement every change in the book straight away, I've picked out a couple of things that I want to work on. I love things that motivate me to try harder and be more aware as a mother, even if I don't succeed at first. I also love that all the concepts in the book are ideas that I can easily see being implemented in our family. I have read a lot of books about raising children and families that have made me wonder where on earth they are getting their information from? This book is realistic, and breaks the changes down into small pieces that make it seem simple. I'm excited to begin trying out more of the ideas in this book in time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment